Share buttons

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Tuesday Topic: Trail Running...Yes or No?

Today's Tuesday topic is Trail Running: Yes or No? This is an easy one. I love trail running. So, for me, the answer is yes, yes YES! I live in a temperate climate, and I'm pretty close to the trails. My heart and my passion for running is on the trail. I'm very protective of my trail running. I try very hard not to let anything get in the way of me hitting the trails at least once a week.

The way that I think about running and the way that I feel when I run differs depending on whether I'm on trail and road. I don't care about my pace on the trail. I barely ever check my watch. I could easily run without a watch at all. I often take my phone and stop to take pictures. Even during trail races, I am less competitive is spirit. My approach to the race is more about the experience rather than placing or performance.

On the road, I'm completely different. I'm very pace oriented. The Garmin rules. I check my watch about a thousand times during a run to make sure I am meeting training goals. During a road race, about the only thing I care about is my performance.

There are lots of benefits that I can give about the physical aspects of trail running and why it's beneficial, but it's either in your blood or it's not. Running has brought many wonderful things into my life, but I could live without road running. I would be an incredibly sad if I had to give up the trails. If I couldn't run for some reason, hopefully, I would be able to hike. I am a nature girl through and through.


Tuesday topic Link up with KookyRunner and Zenaida



8 comments:

  1. I love how you have embraced trail running. In my mind, I'd love to be a trail runner as they always look so peaceful and picturesque. In reality, I have fallen twice and twisted my ankle. I am now a little leery of trails. But who knows?! hope you will link up to our Runners Round up as well tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fallen several times on the road. I've only fallen once on a trail. I was racing..running super fast downhill. I think I am much more careful on the trail, and I watch where I put my feet more. a crack in the sidewalk in the end of me...lol

      Delete
  2. Trail running is so relaxing! And even the races are more laid back. I will be taking a trail training course this weekend, so I am looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! I hope that you post about it.

      Delete
  3. I love your attitude about trail running and that pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I'm a newbie to trail running but I grew up playing in the woods--it feels just right to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a great attitude about running on the trails - I can tell that you really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it well...not looking at your watch while on the trails ;-) I have to runfess, though, I feel the same way about the road LOL I don't have the competitive drive most runners have...and I'm alright with that. For me, although I get satisfaction from hitting certain paces and/or conquering negative splits...it also puts a huge amount of stress on a sport I do for relaxation. Even on race day, I use my Garmin more for monitoring distance than pace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So late in reading everyone’s link up! I do take my Garmin when running on trails but I don't check it often. I do know that my pace will be much more slower than running on the road.

    ReplyDelete