Share buttons

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Tuesday Topic: What is on Your Spring Bucket List?

Big Sur International Marathon was going to be my Spring bucket list race. I was going to, then, attempt a four day 100 miler. Those plans are, clearly, not going to happen, but of all the things that I'm fretting about, those races are the least of my worries.

I think that the reason I'm not worried about is that I can really see the hand of God in my running life. Sometimes, very rarely in my opinion, God gives you a small gift just to show you that he cares about the tiny details of your life. He cares about what you care about, just because you care about it. I have a plain and simple testimony that has completely lightened my heart about missing these races.

I have been trying to join the Marathon Maniacs for years, but some injury always gets in my way. I got it in my mind that I could join the Marathon Maniacs if I found marathons near Big Sur. I decided to run Seaside Marathon. Along with Big Sur and 100 miler attempt after Big Sur. Those three races together would allow me to meet the criteria.

I signed up for Seaside at the spur of the moment. I developed this plan and signed up for Seaside with zero second guessing. I'm not a spontaneous person. I didn't even tell my husband that it was a marathon. I told him that I was running in Ventura, and I had to get up super early. I planned to go alone. He said, "Let's get a hotel. I'm coming. It is a marathon, right?" How did he know it was a marathon? Why was he offering to go? I couldn't believe his attitude, and his absolute insistence that not only was he going, but my son was going and we were all going to have a great time. That is exactly what happened. He drove. He catered to my needs the entire time, and we had a great time.

A few days after the Seaside, I saw a post in an fb group. Someone posted about a local 10k. I went to the link, because a local race that I haven't heard of is pretty unusual. It turned out that there was also a 12 hour overnight race. Again, without a second thought, I signed up. Who signs up for a 12-hour race with only three days notice. I'm not sure of anything...lol, but I was completely sure. I didn't sign up because of the Marathon Maniacs. I just wanted to do it. A good friend decided to do it with me. The race was so much fun. With just those two races, I met the Marathon Maniacs criteria. Since I was already a Half Fanatic, it also made me a Double Agent. I had no idea that the other races wouldn't happen.

I feel like God gave me a little gift. I know that that I didn't reach my goal due to my planning. I am disappointed that the other races aren't going to happen, but the disappointment is overshadowed by the fact that I can see God's work in my life. This is no big thing. It is just a small thing, but God doesn't just show up for the big stuff. He can show up for the small stuff too.

6 comments:

  1. Total agreement!!!! I always say there are no mistakes, and that everything does happen for a reason...even if we aren't open to figuring out what those reasons are at the time. I'm so glad that the 12-hour came along just when you needed it, and that you're a new Double Agent!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do agree that we have been given an opportunity here (slightly different from what you wrote about) -- hopefully more people will recognize that!

    I am also of the opinion that most things happen for a reason.

    Although seriously? I was in dire need of a vacation before all this happened. Still, I'm healthy & I am grateful that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. While we don't know why this is happening, I am taking it as an opportunity to really connect with people in a way I haven't before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on Double Agent! That's a huge plus to this whole fiasco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great perspective on the current situation. We sure don't know why all of this is happening

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also believe that things happen for a reason. We may not like it or understand it but they're meant to happen. I love your attitude! Great job on your races too!! Thank you for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete