Share buttons

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Long Run Sunday, 1/28/2018

Yesterday, I watched The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young.  You can see the trailer here.  The Barkley Marathons is an ultra-marathon trail race held in Frozen Head State Park  near Wartburg, Tennessee in which runners attempt to complete (5) 20+ mile loops within a 60-hour time limit.  Since 1995, only 18 people have completed all 5 loops.

The race and the people who run it are unusual and interesting.  I enjoyed the movie a great deal.  I'm not sure if someone who isn't a runner would enjoy it as much as I did.  There was an understated approach to production that zapped the excitement.  Instead of building anticipation, the production choices actually served to mute the viewers awe of these eccentric, amazing people. It is a great story that runners will enjoy, but I think it could have been better.

I had a long run on the schedule today. I stepped out the door & immediately realized that I was not recovered from yesterday.  I knew that trying to hit paces would be an excercise in frustration and no fun, so I decided to change plans.  I ran on my local trails.  My legs were heavy and the pace slow (11:30), but I enjoyed the run.  I went home for a pit stop at about 8 miles.  I had some water, an electrolyte pill & a goo.  I had already drank 10 oz. of tailwind.  I went back out for a few more miles.  I did 11.5 altogether.  Most of the miles were fun.  Predictably, I started getting tired at about 10 mile mark.  For recovery, I made a protein shake and took a soak in the spa.



No comments:

Post a Comment