Share buttons

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Training Update

My training after my last marathon in December did not go as planned. My left knee has been uncooperative. I am also having a serious issue with my lower leg as well. The pain in my lower leg rarely hurts when I run, but the pain is acute at night. I have not had an MRI of the lower leg. My guess is a stress fracture, but it could be a ligament issue. In any case, in talking with my health care provider, I have decided that the I am going to take 6 weeks off of running without getting an MRI. It will take at least 4 weeks to get an MRI, and I don't feel like dealing with insurance. I have been fighting so hard with my insurance related to my knee that I just need a break. It seems like no matter what the problem is, the recommendation would be the same. That is to take 6-8 weeks off running and go to PT.

My knee is a different issue. I had an x-ray and an MRI. I have a handle on what is wrong with it. I have degeneration and a linear tear of the medial meniscus, grade 2-3 chondromalacia, cartilage loss, arthritis and bone spurs. There are treatment options for me that are not covered by insurance. There are also options that are covered, but the doctors who can help me are out of network. I have opted for sodium hyaluronic acid injections (not covered, of course) and physical therapy. If that does not help as much as I need it to, I'll have to re-engage in the insurance war.

Where does that leave me? I'm going to stop running for 6 weeks concentrating on rehab and retaining as much fitness as possible. Starting today, I'm going to document my workouts here to keep myself accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment